BlackBerry PlayBook owners are about to receive an important update, enabling BBM and Video Chatting, among other features. Get the full scoop on BlackBerry Tablet OS v1.0.3.
Nothing changed here in terms of PlayBook being a great accessory to your BlackBerry phone, for which without, your PlayBook is rendered to more limited functionality.
If you have a BlackBerry PlayBook at this point, chances are you’re an existing BlackBerry smartphone user.
Providing that’s the case, the BlackBerry Tablet OS v1.0.3 brings with it some feature improvements, just for you!
BlackBerry PlayBook Video Chat
The BlackBerry Video Chat Application enables voice and video over Wi-Fi, between BlackBerry PlayBook tablets in peer-to-peer or enterprise environments, leveraging your BlackBerry ID.
BlackBerry PlayBook Video Chat Features:
- Incoming Call Notifications pop up when a new video call is coming in, giving you the option to either accept the call, or decline it. For convenience, a Do Not Disturb (DND) option is also available so you can automatically ignore anything incoming.
- One-Click Calls enable you to quickly select participants from your Video Chat Contact List, recent call logs, or simply by entering the BlackBerry ID of the person you want to Video Chat with.
- Powerful In-Call Functions such as Picture-in-Picture (PIP) and Camera Control offer you the ability to preview what your camera is seeing, and switch between your front-facing and rear-facing cameras to share different points of view.
- Friends List for BlackBerry PlayBook Video Chat allows you to build a comprehensive address book which can easily be customized by name, picture, and BlackBerry ID’s.
- Call Log allows you to see recent Video Chat history, and check out missed calls.
- Video Chat Multitasking allows you to do more than just Video Chat, while you’re Video Chatting! BlackBerry PlayBook Tablet OS v1.0.3 allows you to multi-task while engaged in a Video Chat, allowing you to browse the web for information, and continue running chats in the background.
- HDMi Video Chat takes advantage of “Mirror Mode”, allowing you to output what is on your BlackBerry PlayBook tablet screen to a large and robust HD TV via an HDMi cable.
BlackBerry Messenger (BBM) Support via BlackBerry Bridge
BlackBerry Tablet OS v1.0.3 expands the BlackBerry Bridge experience to include BlackBerry Messenger (BBM) on your BlackBerry PlayBook screen.
BBM itself runs on your BlackBerry smartphone, however, with BlackBerry Bridge enabled, you can now mirror the smartphone BBM and use it on your PlayBook tablet screen.
BBM via BlackBerry Bridge Features:
- Complete BBM Chat Functionality, either direct chats with another person, or group chats with multiple persons.
- BBM Status Updates allow you to get social with your BBM and tell your contacts what’s on your mind.
- Photo Sharing enabled via PlayBook tablet or BlackBerry smartphone SD card.
- BBM Alerts appear on the BlackBerry PlayBook notification ribbon, so you can’t miss your BBM’s!
Document Editing via BlackBerry Bridge
Not only will BlackBerry Tablet OS v1.0.3 provide you with BBM functionality, but your PlayBook also supports document-editing via BlackBerry Bridge.
This means that BlackBerry smartphones are now afforded access via secure Bluetooth connections to edit and save documents. This allows users to leverage the expanded real estate of the PlayBook screen to more easily make changes on the go. You can either save documents back to your PlayBook, or BlackBerry smartphone.
BlackBerry Bridge Document Editing Features:
- File Access gives you easy access to your documents, spreadsheets, slideshows, and pictures via BlackBerry Bridge or the Files application.
- BlackBerry Internet Service Support allows Bridged users to choose to either save their document locally on the PlayBook tablet, or save it back to their BlackBerry smartphone SD card.
- BlackBerry Enterprise Server Support eliminates the choice of saving to the tablet or smartphone by automatically saving documents back to the BlackBerry smartphone SD card. This is available when using BlackBerry Bridge between your smartphone and PlayBook, operating on a BlackBerry Enterprise Server.
Home Screen Browser Bookmarks
With BlackBerry Tablet OS v1.0.3 users can now quite simply bookmark web pages to the PlayBook tablet home screen, allowing simplified access to your favorite places on the web.
How to Upgrade to BlackBerry Tablet OS v1.0.3
As of May 3, 2011, users who purchase and activate a new BlackBerry Playbook will automatically be upgraded to v1.0.3 as part of the BlackBerry PlayBook setup process.
Existing BlackBerry PlayBook users will be presented with a software update notification on the BlackBerry status update ribbon. Click the notification and follow the prompts, and you’re all set!
The BlackBerry Tablet OS update must be performed over a Wi-Fi connection, and it will take approximately 15 minutes to complete.
Have you updated your PlayBook yet?